How to 'see' and paint Brilliant colours and Light in pastel and acrylic paint
Step by step
Duration: 6 week course, Friday or Saturday mornings 9.30 - 12.30 starting Jan 25th or 26th
A packed course full of great tips on how to see, mix and glaze colour and light with acrylics and pastels. Looking at the masters, in particular, Bonnard, Turner and Monet and creating your own works with their palettes.
Being able to capture colour and light on paper or canvas is my passion.
I find the main challenge with capturing colour is being able to “see” colour. A room full of reflected light on white walls could be full of a hundred hues of grey blues, violets, golden whites and pink greys. And within those colours there would be many, many varying degrees of light and dark tones. Most of us see a few shades of grey, not this huge beautiful palette of colour. Learning how to see, and then make these colours, is what makes your paintings sing.
Learning how to see this helps all aspects of painting whether it be realistic or abstract, as it will help expand the depth , resonance and brilliance of your work.
In this intensive and fun course:
- Learn how to see the different tones within colours and to see the subtle differences in between similar colours. To ‘see’ and mix the subtle tones of violets, blues greens, browns or pinks in a single leaf. Or the many hues of colour on your finger.
- Learn how to mix different palettes of colour, using the master painters as reference points.eg. a Monet palette versus a Turner palette.
- Learn how to create one colour in different ways: blending, glazing, mark making.
- Learn how to have a conversation with colour in your work so that the whole painting converses in balance.
- Learn how to push and pull form with colour and line, whether it be an abstract like Kandinsky or a realist painting where an obvious depth of field required.
- Learn which colours and lights create different moods and different times of day.
- Then learn how to mix them in acrylic paint and apply them to canvas.
I use pastels as an introduction to seeing and finding the colour and then move onto acrylic paint to learn how to mix the colours.
All paper, paint, pastels, and colour charts are provided.
Beginners and experienced artists are welcome.
Morning tea is provided.
Bring a Friend $360
$360 Early Bird by Jan 1st
Book now with $60 deposit to get your early bird.
Group size 8 – 10